Thursday, April 19, 2012

Day 281 How to Crash a Party Jesus-style


Then He turned to the woman and said to Simon, “Do you see this woman? I came into your house. You did not give me any water for my feet, but she wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. You did not give me a kiss, but this woman, from the time I entered, has not stopped kissing my feet. You did not put oil on my head, but she has poured perfume on my feet. Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven – as her great love has shown. But whoever has been forgiven little loves little.” Luke 7:44-47

Jesus really called Simon Peter on the carpet with this one...and Peter usually seemed to need it! Jesus made a direct contrast between the woman and Peter. But there was something that both the woman and Simon Peter had in common: access to Jesus' forgiveness and peace. The behaviors that Jesus compared were just the expression of each of these people's response to grace. Through his behavior, Simon Peter exposed a still unforgiving view of the world when the only  response to being made whole and free is to get on your knees.

How do we respond to Jesus' love and generosity? Is it making us more loving and generous or more self-righteous? Are we living with labels and levels of grace? Or does grace leave us on our knees? What is one way can we live our lives more in tune with the love of Jesus?

No comments:

Post a Comment